Track Har Tov- First Spanish Colony
Region: Judea and Samaria, Trail Duration: About 2.5 - 3 km, Starting Point: Parking Lot Mate Yehuda Regional Council, Ending Point: Parking Lot Mate Yehuda Regional Council, Trail Type: Walking
Tourism of Mateh Yehuda
Judea and Samaria
"Har-Tuv that was," the route tells about a special colony, one of the 28 colonies established during the First Aliyah of 1881-1904, but different in nature, the pioneers of the colony immigrated from Bulgaria, clung to the ground and fought stubbornly for dozens of years, twice evacuated from the colony and the third time they abandoned it.
Homes and Moshava Street:
From the Mason House, the Moshava Street began. It is now a side road blocked to the south by the gates of the Even Ha'Ezer school. Some of the farmers' homes were built along this street in the 1920s. After the 1929 riots, more houses were built. Only two homes remain on the street. On the west side of the street is the home of Menachem Ben Best, of the first constructors of the Har-Tuv settlement. The house is located in the Amit Nachshon High School Yeshiva, and it is next to the Museum of Jewish Heritage of Yemen.
Remains of a Har-Tuv:
The Museum of the Moshava - Har-Tuv Museum is located on the ground floor of a stone house belonging to the Levi family, which was built in the 1920s. The site contains pictures, documents, and a video documenting the history of the colony. In the yard of the museum is a monument in memory of the pioneers of the Moshava.
In 1910, a generous Zionist philanthropist named Yitzhak Leib Goldberg, the "unknown philanthropist," acquired a third of the land of the Moshava and established a farm and plant nursery.
The Great Pine Grove:
South of the Even HaEzer school, is the only testimony left by the Goldberg farm that was connected to the Har-Tuv colony.
The War of Independence:
Brought an end to the colony of Har-Tuv, isolated and surrounded by Arab villages, it was besieged from the beginning of the war.
Path of the Lamed-He Department
The Lamed-He Department set out on its last journey in January 1948 from Moshav Har-Tuv, to help and reinforce the Christians at Gush Etzion in the War of Independence.
Industrial zone - located across the main road. A sign indicating the lower Har Tuv parking lot is located between eucalyptus trees, where residential buildings and small industrial plants were built.
KKL-JNF established a parking lot with a number of tables, wooden benches, and a drinking water tap.
How to get there?
For those coming from the center - drive on Route 1 - Tel Aviv - Jerusalem to the Sha'ar Hagai interchange and turn right onto Route 38 (Sha'ar Hagai - Beit Shemesh - Beit Guvrin). Exit onto Shimshon junction, and after 1.5km turn to the left, follow the signs to Moshav Naham, on the right is the Beit Shemesh police station, continue on the road another 500 meters turn left until the first turn to the right, enter the parking lot of the Mateh Yehuda Regional Council and park your vehicle.
For those coming from Kiryat Gat - Sha'ar Hagai, drive east on Route 35 through Beit Guvrin to the Beit Guvrin junction and turn left, continue north on route 38 towards Beit Shemesh - Sha'ar Hagai, cross the railway tracks of Beit Shemesh station. After about 1 km turn right, take the access road to the Beit Shemesh police station, Moshav Naham and the buildings of the Mateh Yehuda Regional Council, turn right to the parking lot of the council and park the vehicle.